From lattes to Americanos, we are all hooked on this caffeinated beverage made from the humble coffee bean. But what about plastic? That’s right: coffee makers come with a lot of plastic, and some of it may contain BPA. If you are health conscious and looking for a plastic free coffee maker, look no further.
I used to work in an office where the coffee machines were mostly made of plastic components. While the convenience was appealing, I couldn’t help but notice a slight plastic aftertaste in my coffee. Moreover, knowing the potential health risks associated with BPA and heated plastics, I felt uneasy about my daily coffee habit.
In my experience, switching to BPA-free and plastic-free coffee equipment is not just about better-tasting coffee—it’s also about making healthier choices for ourselves and our planet. By reducing our plastic usage, we’re minimizing our environmental footprint, contributing to a more sustainable future.
In this post, we’ll look at some of the best plastic-free coffee makers on the market. First, we will take a closer look at why traditional coffee makers can be problematic, how toxins leach, and the health risks of plastic-tainted coffee.
Auto vs Manual Plastic Free Coffee Makers
When it comes to plastic free coffee makers, there are two basic types: manual and auto.
Manual coffee makers are the most consistent way to ensure you are staying clear of plastic in your brewing device. This is because manual brewers are simpler devices with fewer parts, all of which are typically made from materials like glass or stainless steel.
On the other hand, auto coffee makers come with a range of parts that may or may not contain plastic. This makes it more difficult to determine which parts are safe and which ones are not. In addition, many auto brewers have a plastic water reservoir, so you will need to check this specifically if you are looking to avoid plastic.
The best way to stay safe when it comes to plastic free coffee makers is to go with a manual brewer. However, if you do choose an auto coffee maker, make sure to research the product carefully and check the recycling code before making your purchase.
Manual Coffee Maker Pros and Cons
- Simpler design with fewer plastic parts
- Typically made from glass or stainless steel
- Easier to determine build materials
- May require more time and effort than an auto coffee maker
- May not be as convenient for on-the-go mornings
- Takes practice
Auto Coffee Maker Pros and Cons
- Easier to use than a manual coffee maker
- Many come with a plastic water reservoir, which can be hard to avoid
- More complex design with a variety of potential plastic parts
- Potentially exposes you to harmful chemicals like BPA and BPS
- Can’t always tell which parts are made from plastic
Plastic Free Auto Drip Coffee Machines
There are not many truly plastic free auto drip coffee machines on the market, but there are a few. In today’s world, it is probably easier to try and find a coffee maker that is BPA and BPS-free (and even that can be a challenge).
The automatic drip coffee makers in our list are as close as we have found to plastic free.
- Durable steel housings and BPA/BPS/BPF & Phthalate free plastics
- Glass carafe maintains coffee integrity, quality, and taste
- Unique hot-plate element engineered to keep coffee between 175 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit
- 9-hole outlet arm pulses water for even extraction
- Manual adjustment brew basket allows you to control brew strength
If you’re a coffee enthusiast who wants to reduce your reliance on plastic, the Technivorm 59691 KB Coffee Brewer is a perfect choice. This nearly plastic-free coffee maker is made with durable metal housings and BPA/BPS/BPF & Phthalate-free plastics, making it a great option for those who want to make delicious coffee without worrying about harmful chemicals.
The glass carafe maintains coffee integrity, quality, and taste on a unique, independent hot-plate element. The heating element is engineered to hold coffee temperature between 175 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit for a maximum of 100 minutes. Plus, the 9-hole outlet arm pulses water at 196°-205°F over your coffee grounds for even extraction and a smooth, flavorful cup of coffee from the first sip to the last drop.
The Technivorm 59691 KB Coffee Brewer also features a manual adjust brew basket with three settings controlled by a toggle switch at the front of the brew basket. It allows you to steep your coffee longer or even close the brew basket and pull the carafe away while the brewer is brewing. This makes it easy to customize your coffee brewing process to get the perfect cup of coffee each time.
So, if you’re looking for a high-quality, nearly plastic-free coffee maker that makes great coffee, the Technivorm Coffee Brewer is definitely worth considering.
Pros of Technivorm Coffee Brewer
- Superior Brewing Speed: Offers rapid brewing in just 6 minutes, ideal for quick coffee preparation.
- Precise Temperature Control: Maintains optimal brewing temperatures for quality coffee extraction.
- Large Capacity: Can brew up to 10 cups, making it convenient for serving multiple people.
- Sleek and Stylish Design: Adds an aesthetically pleasing element to your kitchen space.
- Durable Construction: Built for long-lasting performance and reliability.
- User-Friendly Operation: Simple and straightforward to use, suitable for coffee enthusiasts of all skill levels.
- Maintains Coffee Quality and Taste: The glass carafe with its independent hot-plate element preserves the coffee’s temperature and flavor.
- Effective Carafe Design: Features a double-wall thermal carafe with a screw-on lid to keep coffee warm and prevent spills.
Cons of Technivorm Coffee Brewer
- Relatively High Price Point: Priced higher compared to other coffee brewers on the market, which might be a consideration for budget-conscious buyers.
- May Require Reprogramming: Adjustments in grind size and amount could necessitate reprogramming, which could be a minor inconvenience.
- Potential Issues with Carafe Handle: Some users have found the carafe handle uncomfortable to hold and felt that it detracted from the perceived quality of the product.
- Brews 3.8 gallons of coffee per hour – perfect for large offices and gatherings
- All stainless steel construction – meaning no contact with plastic
- Only non-metal material from tank to sprayhead is food grade silicone grommets
- To ensure a fully plastic free brewing system, you can purchase the stainless steel filter basket
Are you looking for a plastic free automatic drip coffee maker? Well, this is about as close as you are going to get. All of the materials from the tank to the spray head are stainless steel, meaning there is no plastic in sight.
There are a few silicone grommets, but these are food grade and won’t leach any toxins into your coffee. Basically, you can’t go wrong with this coffee machine if you’re looking for an automatic coffee maker that doesn’t use any plastic.
The Bunn VP17-1 isn’t the most elegant-looking machine, but it definitely gets the job done. Plus, it brews a whopping 3.8 gallons of coffee per hour – perfect for large offices and gatherings!
The filter basket is made from BPA-free plastic. To ensure a fully plastic-free brewing system, you can purchase the stainless steel filter basket. This will replace the plastic filter basket and allow you to brew your coffee without any contact with plastic.
If you’re looking for an affordable, reliable, and plastic free automatic coffee machine – the Bunn VP17-1 is a great option!
Pros of BUNN Stainless Steel Coffee Maker:
- High Brewing Capacity: It can brew up to 60.5 cups of coffee per hour, making it suitable for high-demand situations.
- Speed and Efficiency: The machine is capable of brewing 12 cups of coffee in approximately 4 minutes, allowing continuous coffee production all day long.
- Portability: This coffee maker does not require a water line, offering flexibility in placement.
- Safety Features: An integrated SplashGard funnel helps to prevent burns.
- Consistent Performance: Works reliably several times a day for years.
- Versatility: Great for business and home settings (if you have the space).
- Smaller than it Seems: Fits under most cabinets, making it suitable for various kitchen sizes.
Cons of BUNN Stainless Steel Coffee Maker:
- No On/Off Switch: The absence of an on/off switch means it is always drawing power.
- Limited Difference in Taste: No customization means a lack of brewing options.
- Noise Issue: There is a report of the reserve tank making a loud noise when heating up, which some may find distracting.
Plastic Free Manual Coffee Makers
There is a huge selection of plastic-free coffee maker options if you decide to start manually brewing your favorite blend at home. Glass carafes and ceramic brewers are the most popular among these, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Here are our top five favorites:
- Produces a clean, clear cup of coffee without any bitterness or sediment
- Made of high-quality materials and is completely plastic free
- Patented pour-over design allows coffee to be covered and refrigerated for reheating without losing flavor
- Simple to use with a timeless, elegant design
The Chemex was invented in 1941 by Dr. Peter Schlumbohm, Ph.D. It is made of borosilicate glass and has a chemical-resistant wooden collar and leather tie. The Chemex coffeemaker is a manual pour over brewer that produces a clean, clear cup of coffee without any bitterness or sediment.
The cone-shaped filter allows for even extraction and filtering of the coffee grounds, resulting in a balanced cup of coffee every time.
If you’re looking for a plastic free coffee maker that is made of high-quality materials, the Chemex is a great option. It’s made of borosilicate glass, which will not absorb odors or chemical residues. The patented pour-over design also allows coffee to be covered and refrigerated for reheating without losing flavor. And because it’s simple to use with a timeless, elegant design, the Chemex is a popular choice among coffee lovers.
The only other material used in the construction of a Chemex is the chemically resistant wooden collar and leather tie. So if you’re looking for an all-glass coffee maker that zero plastic components, the Chemex is a great option for brewing pour over coffee at home.
Pros of Chemex Coffee Maker:
- Stylish Design: It has a very pleasing aesthetic, offering a stylish and great-looking design that stands out in the kitchen.
- Quality of Brew: Produces clear, full-flavored coffee without oils, ensuring a rich coffee taste.
- Brewing Capacity: Capable of brewing up to 10 cups at a time, it’s suitable for serving multiple people or larger quantities of coffee.
- Ease of Maintenance: Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning, with replacement parts readily available.
- No Mess: Designed to avoid coffee ground mess, contributing to a cleaner brewing process.
- Multiple Size Options: It comes in various sizes, catering to different needs and preferences.
- Suitability for Cold Brew: The Chemex is also effective for making cold brew coffee.
Cons of Chemex Coffee Maker:
- Requirement of Paper Filters: Necessitates the purchase of special paper filters.
- Cleaning Challenges: Some find it a little tricky to clean due to its shape and design.
- Cost: It is more expensive compared to some other coffee maker options.
- Less Full-Bodied Coffee: The brewing method results in less full-bodied coffee compared to other methods.
- Fragility: The glass component can shatter easily, making it a delicate item to handle and not ideal for portability.
- Durability Concerns: While it can last a considerable amount of time, it requires careful handling due to its fragility.
- Durable Japanese ceramic retains heat to help retain temperature throughout the brewing cycle
- Minimalist look to suit any kitchen design or style
- Spiral ridges produce a deep, rich umami flavor
- Single large hole, improving pour flow
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Produces a clean, balanced cup of coffee and is easy to use
The Hario V60 is a ceramic cone brewer that comes in a variety of colors. It produces a clean, balanced cup of coffee and is easy to use. The dripper features a single large hole which improves pour flow and provides users with ultimate freedom when it comes to the pour speed.
The V60 is also known for its spiral ridges, which allow for deeper layering of the coffee grounds. This deep, rich umami flavor is perfect for those who appreciate a traditional cup of coffee.
The V60 is made from Arita-yaki, a traditional style of Japanese ceramics with a rich 400-year history. This, of course, means there is zero plastic in the construction of the brewer. With this ceramic cone brewer, you can enjoy specialty coffee without all those pesky chemicals we’ve come to associate with modern-day plastic.
Each Hario pour over dripper is handmade by a local craftsperson in Japan, ensuring that each one is of the highest quality. If you are looking for a classic ceramic cone brewer that will produce an evenly brewed cup of pour over coffee every time, the Hario V60 is a perfect choice.
Pros of Hario V60 Ceramic Pour Over:
- Elegant Design: It boasts an elegant and simple design with improved airflow due to its raised grooves, enhancing the coffee brewing process.
- Material Options: Available in a variety of materials, including ceramic, glass, metal, and plastic.
- Affordability: It is very reasonably priced, offering a range of options and price points to suit different budgets.
- Ease of Use and Cleaning: The Hario V60 is easy to use and clean, with most models being dishwasher-safe.
- Quality of Brew: Produces a smooth, sweet, and balanced cup of coffee with even extraction.
- Versatility: Comes in different sizes to cater to small or large servings.
Cons of Hario V60 Ceramic Pour Over:
- Specialty Paper Filters Required: Needs specific paper filters for optimal brewing.
- Brewing Technique: Perfecting the brewing technique takes practice and time.
- Requires Dedication: Brewing with the V60 requires full attention, there is no easy button.
- Additional Equipment Needed: Optimal brewing requires extra equipment like a gooseneck kettle and a high-quality grinder.
- Primarily for Single-Serve: Although available in larger sizes, it is mainly designed for single-cup brewing and may not be efficient for brewing coffee for groups.
- Can be used to make tea as well
- Triple-layer filter stops sediment while letting all the yummy oils through for a full-bodied flavor
- Large capacity professional-grade 304 18/10 stainless steel
- Double-layered canister will keep your coffee hot for longer than glass models
- Drop-proof and rust-proof
The Mueller French Press coffee maker is an eco-friendly way to enjoy a delicious cup of coffee. This metal press has no plastic anywhere, and you can use it to make tea as well. The triple-layer filter stops sediment while letting all the yummy oils through for a full-bodied flavor that will leave you feeling satisfied and happy!
If that’s not enough, they also offer two bonus stainless steel screens and a matching travel canister. With this product, you’ll never have to worry about any harmful chemicals or toxins getting into your drink again.
The large capacity professional-grade 304 18/10 double-layered stainless steel canister will keep your coffee hot for 60 minutes longer than glass and simple metal models. It’s also drop-proof, rust-proof, and bulletproof (just kidding)!
Any French press can also be used to make cold brew. Add your favorite coarse ground beans, cold water, and let it brew for 12-24 hours on the counter. Then plunge, pour, and enjoy.
So, whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just love to enjoy a good cup of coffee every day, the Mueller French Press is the perfect way to do it without any added chemicals leaching in. And who knows? You might even convert some of your friends over to this healthy and sustainable way of drinking their morning joe. Cheers!
Check out our list of the best coffee grinders for French press to really step you your brew game!
Pros of Mueller French Press:
- Durability: Made of double-layered stainless steel, it is strong and durable, resistant to drops and rust.
- Heat Retention: The double insulation keeps coffee hot for an extended period, significantly longer than thinner steel and glass models.
- Quality of Brew: It features a triple-layered filter that prevents sediment while allowing coffee oils through for a full-bodied flavor.
- Versatility: Suitable for making various beverages like tea, hot chocolate, and cold brew, in addition to coffee.
- Ease of Cleaning: It is simple to disassemble and clean, with most parts being dishwasher-safe.
- Design: The French press boasts a cool, industrial design that enhances its aesthetic appeal in the kitchen.
Cons of Mueller French Press:
- Extra Care in Cleaning: The coiled wire around the bottom of the press has an exposed end, requiring careful cleaning.
- Filter Usage: The extra fine filter requires steady pressure to push down, which might be a minor inconvenience for some users.
- Visibility Issues: It’s not possible to see the water level due to its opaque design.
- Misleading Manufacturing Origin: Despite the brand name, it’s manufactured in China, which might be misleading for some buyers.
- Environmentally friendly, zero waste brewing
- Doesn’t use any plastic
- Easy to use
- Makes a great cup of stovetop espresso
- Available in different sizes
- Stainless steel and aluminum material is easy to clean
If you’re looking for an environmentally friendly way to make your morning coffee, look no further than the Bialetti Moka Pot. Made of stainless steel and aluminum, this coffee maker doesn’t use any plastic, so you can feel good about yourself and the planet. Plus, the Bialetti Moka Pot is easy to use and makes a great cup of coffee.
Just fill the pot with ground coffee, place it on the stove, and wait for the coffee to start gurgling. When it’s done, turn off the heat and enjoy your fresh cup of joe. The Bialetti Moka Pot is available in different sizes, so you can find one that fits your needs. And because it’s made of stainless steel and aluminum, it’s easy to clean.
Bialetti is committed to the environment, and it’s shown its commitment by linking up with Express to Oceana. This world organization is dedicated to the protection of ocean ecosystems, and it focuses on the issue of single-use plastic pollution.
By working with Bialetti, Express to Oceana is able to raise awareness about the dangers of plastic pollution and how we can all do our part to reduce our reliance on plastic.
So if you’re looking for a plastic-free way to brew stovetop espresso at home, the Bialetti Moka Pot is the perfect option. It’s environmentally friendly, easy to use, and makes a great cup of coffee. What more could you want?
Check out our review of the best Moka pots!
Pros of Bialetti Moka Pot:
- Classic design: The Moka Express has an iconic and timeless design that has been popular for decades.
- Affordable: It is generally more affordable than electric espresso machines, making it a budget-friendly option for coffee enthusiasts.
- Easy to use: Brewing espresso with the Moka Express is relatively simple and doesn’t require electricity or complex machinery.
- Compact and portable: It’s a compact and lightweight coffee maker, making it easy to transport or store.
- Rich flavor: It produces a strong and flavorful espresso with a unique taste that many coffee lovers appreciate.
- Durable: Made from high-quality materials, it can last for many years with proper care.
- Available in various sizes: The Moka Express comes in different sizes to suit individual preferences and needs.
Cons of the Bialetti Moka Express:
- Requires a stovetop: It relies on a stovetop for heating, so you’ll need access to a stove or heat source.
- Learning curve: Achieving the perfect brew may take some practice and experimentation with grind size, heat, and timing.
- Can over-extract: If not used correctly, it can produce bitter coffee by over-extracting the grounds.
- Not truly espresso: While it makes a concentrated coffee similar to espresso, it’s not considered a true espresso machine.
- Limited capacity: The capacity is relatively small, so it may not be suitable for making multiple cups at once.
- Maintenance: Regular cleaning is necessary to prevent the buildup of coffee residues and maintain the quality of the brew.
- 100% Teflon-free and BPA-free materials
- No cords or plugs required
- Made from all stainless steel materials
- Styled and designed for practical everyday use
- Comfortable wooden handle with solid brass rivets
- 9 or 12 cups percolator
It’s time to say goodbye to plastic. With the Eurolux Percolator Coffee Maker, you can enjoy a delicious cup of coffee without the nasty side effects of toxic chemicals on your health and the environment.
The Eurolux is perfect for those people who want their morning brew with zero hassle and no waste! Made from all Teflon-free and BPA-free materials, these zero plastic coffee makers is 100% safe for you and the planet. It’s also great for those who like to camp or travel, as it doesn’t require any cords or plugs. Plus, with its durable stainless steel build, it can withstand a few bumps and drops while on the go.
Even the handle is eco-friendly, made with beautiful wood and solid brass rivets. So there’s no need to worry about burning your hands while you pour your coffee.
Stop using those outdated, chemical-laden coffee makers and switch to the Eurolux Percolator Coffee Maker for a fresh, plastic-free cup of java every morning. You won’t regret it!
For a list of our other favorite percolators, check out our list of the best percolator coffee maker.
Pros of Eurolux Percolator Coffee Maker:
- No Electricity Needed: Suitable for any heat source.
- Simple Design: Ideal for home use and camping.
- Quality Material: Made of high-quality stainless steel.
- Effective Filtering: Good at preventing coffee grounds from getting into the coffee.
- Brew Speed: Brews around 1 cup per minute.
- Cool Handle: Wooden handle stays cool to the touch.
- Safe Material: Free of BPA and other harmful chemicals.
- Unique Lid Design: Glass lid handle allows you to see the coffee brewing.
Cons of Eurolux Percolator Coffee Maker:
- Cleaning Difficulty: Can be hard to clean.
- Potential Stability Issue: May require adjustment to prevent rocking.
- Fragile Glass Knob: The glass knob is not very durable.
- Not Suitable for Office Use: Cannot be used in an office setting unless you have a kitchenette with a stove.
- Flavorful and clean coffee taste with no bitterness
- Exquisite design that is a conversation starter
- Materials that are all stainless steel, BPA-free, and heat-resistant
- 500ml capacity that is enough for 3-5 espresso cups
The Diguo Belgian Balance Siphon Coffee Maker is a marvel of engineering and design. It uses the power of gravity, vacuum, and vapor pressure to brew coffee, resulting in a smooth, light-colored cup of joe with no bitter aftertaste. This coffee maker is also beautiful to look at, with its sleek black and silver design and ridged fulcrum. It would make a great addition to any kitchen and would be sure to impress your friends and family.
Of course, it’s made from stainless steel, which means it won’t leach any harmful chemicals into your morning cup of joe.
The BPA-free borosilicate glass Brewing Flask is also heat-resistant, meaning your coffee will never taste burnt or off. And the medical-grade silicon rubber seals keep things airtight, so your coffee will stay fresh for hours.
This plastic free coffee maker can make up to 500ml of coffee, or 17oz, which is enough for 3-5 espresso cups. It’s easy to use and clean, with just a few simple parts that are all dishwasher safe. So why not ditch your old plastic coffee maker and upgrade to the Diguo Belgian Balance Siphon Coffee Maker? You won’t regret it!
Pros of Diguo Belgian Balance Siphon Coffee Maker:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Visually stunning with a retro-style design, adding an element of artistry to coffee brewing.
- Quality Construction: Crafted from premium materials like 304 stainless steel and heat-resistant borosilicate glass, ensuring durability and BPA free.
- Unique Brewing Process: Features a siphon vacuum brewing method for a smooth, aromatic coffee experience.
- Reusable Filter: Environmentally friendly and easy to clean, contributing to sustainability.
- Quiet Operation: Produces no machine noise or vibration, enhancing the tranquil brewing experience.
- Flavorful Coffee: Brews strong, bright, and clean coffee with a robust flavor.
Cons of Diguo Belgian Balance Siphon Coffee Maker:
- Small Batch Size: Limited capacity, brewing only 2-3 cups at a time, which may not be sufficient for larger gatherings or heavy coffee drinkers.
- Fragile Components: The glass and other parts require careful handling to avoid breakage.
- Tedious Cleanup: While the filter is easy to clean, overall cleanup can be somewhat challenging.
- Separate Purchase of Burner and Fuel: Alcohol burner and fuel are not included and must be bought separately.
- Longer Brewing Time: Takes more time to brew compared to traditional coffee makers.
- Price: It is relatively pricey compared to other coffee makers on this list.
What to look for in the best plastic free coffee maker?
Types of plastic free coffee makers
There are a few different types of plastic-free coffee makers on the market. The most common are stainless steel and glass. A stainless steel coffee maker will be more durable and is more common.
Stainless steel coffee makers
These are the most popular type of plastic-free coffee maker and can come in both manual and automatic models. Stainless steel is a durable material that doesn’t leach toxins into your beverage. However, it can be difficult to clean, and some people find that the taste of stainless steel affects the flavor of their coffee.
Glass coffee makers
Glass coffee makers are a great alternative to stainless steel models. They are easy to clean and don’t affect the flavor of your coffee. However, they are fragile and can break if not handled carefully.
Other types of plastic-free coffee makers
There are a few other types of plastic-free coffee makers on the market, including French presses and percolators. French presses are made of either glass or stainless steel and are easy to use. Percolators are also made of stainless steel and have a unique design that allows the coffee to be brewed twice. Unfortunately, most automatic coffee makers will have plastic parts.
Why traditional coffee makers are problematic
Most traditional coffee makers come with a lot of plastic, and it can be difficult to determine which pieces contain BPA. In fact, many manufacturers do not disclose whether or not their products contain the chemical. What we do know is that when heated, BPA leaches into food or beverages at least 55x faster than when cool.
How toxins leach
BPA is just one of many harmful chemicals that can leach from plastic. BPA and BPS are endocrine disruptors, meaning they can interfere with the body’s natural hormones.
Other chemicals include phthalates and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). These toxins can cause a variety of health problems, including:
- Endocrine disruption
- Reproductive problems
- Heart disease
The health risks of plastic-tainted coffee
In addition to the dangers posed by the chemicals themselves, there is also the issue of how they interact with other compounds. For instance, when BPA combines with caffeine, it can increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Furthermore, recent studies have shown that even very low doses of these chemicals can cause health problems. This means that even if your coffee maker doesn’t contain a lot of plastic, it may still be leaching harmful chemicals into your cup.
Why BPA-free coffee makers are misleading
So, if traditional coffee makers come with so much plastic and there is no way to know which pieces contain BPA, what can you do? One solution is to buy a coffee maker that is labeled “BPA-free.” However, this label can be misleading.
The problem with BPA-free coffee makers
BPA-free plastics are made with a different chemical, BPS. While BPA is harmful, BPS is not yet proven to be safe. In fact, recent studies have shown that it may be even more toxic than BPA.
This means that when you buy a coffee maker that is labeled “BPA-free,” you may be getting a product that is just as harmful as one made with regular plastic. In fact, some experts believe that all plastics pose a health risk, regardless of whether or not they are labeled “BPA-free.”
Tips to help identify and avoid BPA in coffee makers
So, how can you be sure that your coffee maker is free of harmful chemicals? Here are a few tip to ensure you are using a BPA free coffee maker.
Look for coffee makers with limited plastic parts
One way to reduce your risk of exposure to BPA and other toxins is to choose a coffee maker with limited plastic parts. This includes brewers that come with glass or stainless steel carafes instead of plastic ones.
Check the recycling code
Another way to determine whether a coffee maker contains BPA is to check the recycling code on the bottom of the product. If it starts with “7”, then it likely contains BPA.
Avoid coffee makers with a plastic water reservoir
Many coffee makers come with a plastic water reservoir. If possible, try to choose one that has a glass or stainless steel reservoir instead. This will help reduce your exposure to BPA and other toxins.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are plastic-free coffee makers?
Plastic-free coffee makers are brewing devices made without plastic. They are typically constructed from materials like stainless steel, glass, or ceramic.
Why should I switch to a plastic-free coffee maker?
Plastic coffee makers can leach harmful chemicals like BPA, especially when heated. These chemicals can potentially harm your health and also affect the taste of your coffee. Plastic-free coffee makers ensure a cleaner, richer brew.
Does coffee taste better from a plastic-free coffee maker?
In my personal experience, yes. Plastic can sometimes give off a subtle aftertaste, which can interfere with the pure flavors of the coffee. Plastic-free coffee makers allow the true flavors of your coffee to shine through.
Can plastic-free coffee makers help the environment?
Absolutely. By choosing a plastic-free coffee maker, you’re reducing the demand for plastic production, which is a significant contributor to environmental pollution.
Are there any downsides to using a plastic-free coffee maker?
One potential downside could be the durability. Glass and ceramic coffee makers can break if dropped, unlike their plastic counterparts. But with careful handling, they can last for years. Just make sure to handle any glass coffee pot with care.
What are some recommended plastic-free coffee makers?
Brands like Chemex, Hario, and Bodum offer excellent plastic-free coffee makers. I personally love the Chemex Glass Coffee Maker and the Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper.
Are plastic-free coffee makers more expensive?
The price varies based on the brand and model. Some plastic-free options may be slightly more expensive than their plastic counterparts, but considering the long-term health and environmental benefits, it’s a worthy investment.